Sunday, August 23, 2009

design obsession: bedside carafes

i've seen them everywhere from movie adaptations of jane austen novels to charlotte york's beautiful park avenue palace in sex in the city...regardless of time period and location, i have always had an affinity for the bedside carafe. they are a sophisticated approach to the utilitarian need to quench ones thirst in the middle of the night...and such a thoughtful touch for guest bedrooms!


when we moved into our new apartment, i went "carafe carazy" and purchased two for our bedroom and one for our "guest quarters." and given the fact that they come in such a wide range of styles, they seem to me to be worthy of a being a "design obsession"...whether your style is traditionally classic or eccentric and funky, these carafes offer a fun and thoughtful way to express your own design preferences.

and who says they are reserved for the bedside? what about using a bunch of them at a dinner party for individual beverages? so chic. the possibilities are endless, really.
...happy sophisticating...

fabulousness from cb2. and at $10, is it any surprise we bought 3?



a fun, modern carafe from unica home.



a true classic, from williams sonoma. love the monogram!



a very vintage touch, from posh chicago. perfect for a shabby chic-style room!



love love LOVE this shape! from grasshopper510.


and another fun shape from grasshopper 510.




the larger glass is nice. from crate and barrel.



anthropologie. need i say more? fab for the dinner table!



made from a recycled wine bottle. brilliant! available from meredithsmirrors on etsy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Victoria,
M name is Miriam Bernard. I am friends with Keren Sagehorn through my dear mother-in-law (Keren's good friend, Shelley Bernard). I began a blog on Facebook yesterday called "Things I Want But Cannot Afford" and Keren commented on it, mentioning your blog. I am SO glad she gave me this link, because I adore all things sophisticated and vintage (which often go hand-in-hand in my opinion). I also find it strangely coincidental that just yesterday evening I was at Bed, Bath and Beyond admiring a bedside carafe and thinking what a great idea they are. Much more chic than the plastic water bottle currently by my bed. Consider me a subscriber!
~ Miriam Bernard

victoria smith said...

Hello Miriam!

I'm so glad you've enjoyed the blog...Thanks for posting your comment! I'll be sure to check out your blog as well...it's always fun to find a kindred spirit!

Happy Sophisticating,
Victoria